RCS Student Dress Code
ROCKINGHAM COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
Central Administrative Offices
511 Harrington Highway
Eden, NC 27288
May 22, 2006
WORK SESSION MINUTES
After discussion, the Board determined to implement the following dress code regulations for 6 - 12 students for the 2006-2007 school year (and subsequent school years) effective July 1, 2006 (revisions are in bold italics).
Regulations for 2008-2009:
School Dress: We ask our students to dress in an appropriate manner for school. Clean, neat, comfortable clothing, which allows your child to participate in all events of school without undue concern, will be most appropriate.
- Appropriate size student dress and footwear is necessary to maintain a positive and safe school climate. Any clothing or accessories that endanger the safety of others is prohibited.
- Clothing must be age appropriate, must not distract from the learning process, and cannot be provocative, revealing, indecent, or vulgar. (No short shorts or short skirts are allowed).
- No headgear including but not limited to hats, earmuffs, bandanas, sweatbands, or sunglasses will be worn inside the school buildings.
- All sleeveless tops must have shoulders, and all lops must have fitted arm opening. No spaghetti or tank tops are allowed. All tops must cover the waistband of the bottom garment. (Upper garments must cover the midriff at all times.)
- Clothing will not be allowed which promotes alcoholic beverages, tobacco, the use of controlled substances, depicts violence, is of a sexual nature, is racist, is of a mesh or transparent material, or is of a disruptive nature.
- Heavy chains or accessories or any attire that has the potential to be used as a weapon is prohibited.
- No sagging pants allowed. All pants must be worn and fitted at the waist.
- Any clothing or accessories recognized as being gang related are prohibited.
- No rips or tears above the knee.
- No undergarment should be visible.
- Sleepwear is prohibited.
- All shirts and tops must be no longer than the top of the leg.
- No body piercings that are visible except in ears.