2019-2020 Student Assignment Process Timeline
Beginning March 25, 2019 the RCS Request for Reassignment Application will be available for students requesting transfers for the next school year and based on a lottery system for all schools except for Rockingham Early College High School.
- Requests for transfers are reviewed and appropriate decisions made based on reason(s) provided and capacity in the school. The administration may grant transfer requests only if the requested school has sufficient space meaning the calculated school membership is under 95%, adequate staff allotments, grade level capacity which can include state required teacher student ratio and appropriate programming.
- Requests for Reassignment should be made between March 25 and May 1.
- No more than one reassignment request per student will be granted each year.
- Previously approved student assignments are required to submit an Application Intent Form for reassignment by April 19, 2019. Students may remain at the transfer school through completion of the grade span.
- Application Intent Forms are required for students entering a new grade span of K-5, 6-8 or 9-12.
- Siblings of students who have been approved for prior transfer, may attend the same school with the exception of Kindergarten, sixth, and ninth grades if space is under 95% capacity.
- Parents are responsible for transportation to and from school for reassigned students.
- The Superintendent or designee may rescind a reassignment if the student has problems with serious misconduct, exhibits poor academic performance inconsistent with their abilities, or accumulates excessive absences, tardies or dismissals. If the reassignment was granted for specific academic programs, the student must meet the expectations of that program in order to continue participating.
- Further details on student reassignment may be found in the Board Policy 4150.
Friday, March 22, 2019
Applications are delivered to schools and Central Office
March 25 - Wednesday, May 1, 2019
All applications will be available at the RCS Central Office, at all RCS schools, or online at www.rock.k12.nc.us/studentassign. Previously approved reassignment students will receive an application intent form by mail, the week of March 25. All applications should be sent to Jessica Isley at RCS Central Office. To be considered, applications must be received between March 25-May 1.
Friday, April 19, 2019
Applications are due for employees and all returning reassignment students.
May 1, 2019
Final Deadline for Student Reassignment Requests.
Monday, June 3, 2019
Last day of school: All K-8 students enrolled in Rockingham County Schools will receive notification of school assignment on the final report card.
June 14, 2019
All 9-12 student assignment letters will be mailed for applications received by May 1.
August 30, 2019
Final approval/denial of student assignment letters will be sent home for families that have relocated to Rockingham County after May 1.
*Dates are subject to change due to inclement weather and/or make-up days.
Application Intent Form In County (Coming March 25, 2019)
Application Intent Form Out of County (Coming March 25, 2019)