New Student Assignment Timeline 2018-2019
Beginning April 16, 2018, the RCS Request for Reassignment Application will be available for students requesting transfers for the next school year and based on a lottery system for all schools except for Rockingham Early College High School.
- Requests for transfers are reviewed and appropriate decisions made based on reason(s) provided and capacity in the school. The administration may grant transfer requests only if the requested school has sufficient space meaning the calculated school membership is under 95%, adequate staff allotments, grade level capacity which can include state required teacher student ratio and appropriate programming.
- Requests for Reassignment should be made between April 16 and May 1.
- No more than one reassignment request per student will be granted each year.
- Previously approved assignments will be required to reapply. Students may remain at the transfer school through completion of the grade span.
- New applications will be required for students entering a new grade span of K-5, 6-8 or 9-12.
- Sibling of students who have been approved for prior transfer, may attend the same school with the exception of Kindergarten, Sixth, and Ninth grades if space is under 95% capacity.
- Parents are responsible for transportation to and from school for reassigned students.
- The superintendent or designee may rescind a reassignment if the student has problems with serious misconduct, exhibits poor academic performance inconsistent with their abilities, or accumulates excessive absences, tardies or dismissals. If the reassignment was granted for specific academic programs, the student must meet the expectations of that program in order to continue participating.
- Further details on student reassignment may be found in the Board Policy 4150.
April 13, 2018
Applications are delivered to Schools and Central Office
April 16, 2018 -
May 1, 2018
All applications will be available all RCS Schools, the RCS Central Office or online at www.rock.k12.nc.us/studentassign. All applications should be sent to Jessica Isley. To be considered applications must be received between April 16-May 1.
May 1, 2018
Final Deadline for Student Transfer Requests
June 1, 2018
Last day of school: All K-8 students enrolled in Rockingham County Schools will receive school assignment on the report card according to the school you are currently attending.
June 8, 2018
All 9-12 student assignment letters will be mailed for applications received by May 1.
August 31, 2018
Final approval/denial student assignment letters will be sent home for families that have relocated to Rockingham County after May 1.
*Dates are subject to change due to inclement weather and/or make-up days.